Today, I spent a solid amount of time sketching out some ideas for deliverables for the Folly Campaign objects.
Here are the sketches and a little bit of information about them. I’d love to get some feedback from you guys on this. (:
|1st Row – Program Cover thumnbnails
2nd Row – Billboard thumbnails
3rd Row – Facebook Cover Photo thumbnails
All the weird looking black shapes (and the F’s in a square) are meant to represent the Folly logo which will be included in the final designs. The vertical lines and dotted lines that you see in the background are meant to indicate the knit sweater pattern that is utilized in the original poster design.
Sorry for the scribbles and abbreviations. Keep in mind, this is a sketch. My sketches are usually pretty rough, but these are mildly detailed. Typically, I like to sketch stick figures. haha
Here are some questions I have (that I would love some responses to):
1. Out of the designs, which one do you think is the strongest in each section?
top: Program Cover,
bottom: Facebook Cover Photo for event
2. Do these designs look like they are related to or belong in the same campaign as the poster?
3. What do you suggest should be changed in the sketches you chose?
4. Do you think the billboard design you liked is effective and easily read while on the highway?
5. Would you prefer to have the names of the artists included in the Facebook banner or do you think it’s fine without their names?
Basically, if you’ve been keeping up with all the posts about my Folly poster design for David Benoit’s concert, you’ll recall that the central graphic is a flat style illustration of the birds eye view of a grand piano (which also resembles a mitten) with a knitted sweater pattern within the silhouette. This is a reference to Charlie Brown’s sweater/shirt.
The poster can be seen here in case you missed it. Anyway, now we have moved past the poster and are working on four other deliverables for the campaign. These items include:
I’m having a decent amount of fun with these sketches… Remember when I had that creative block and existential crisis about a week or two ago (in regards to my designs and coming up with concepts for the poster design)? Weeeeeelllll, let’s just say that creative block is gone and I had come up with cute new ideas for the campaign identity today. Sadly, I can’t use them because they aren’t based off my original poster design. That’s okay though, I’ll save them for future reference in case I can pull some ideas from them. I’ll post the previous sketches here anyway, in case you’re curious as to what those ideas were.
|I don’t know. I thought there were some fun ideas in here. Most of the ideas were based around type, but I do love typography though, so it seems fitting. Also, recently, I did a typography poster about how typography has musical qualities about it and how it correlates to sound and that definitely rings true and would’ve been appropriate for this design.|
Anyway, let’s get back to talking about the sketches that I made today.
In the first row, I’m messing around with the program cover design. I’m trying to isolate a couple different elements from the poster to maintain the identity while changing the overall design and style of handling of the objective. I’m not quite sure which one I like the most, but I’m leaning towards the fourth design. There’s something I like about making a variation of the main graphic. But then again, I also really like the minimal quality of the third design and how I isolated the pattern to create a different shape.
The middle section features my billboard design thumbnails. Here, I’m trying to activate the entire space while allowing the viewer plenty of visual room to breathe. I really like the image on the right in the first row of this section. I think it works really well with having the graphics making use of its allusion to mittens. The type also becomes a bit more organic here, flowing from side to side and really opening up from its rigid block structure. I’m pretty sure this is the design that I want to move forward with.
In the final section, are my thumbnails for the Facebook cover photo. The first one is definitely pushing the boundaries of the keeping the overall aesthetic of the poster. I have the Charlie Brown knitted pattern in the background, but I”m pretty sure that the colors won’t be the same as his shirt. The color scheme would be based around the poster but also probably lighter and more vibrant than the CMYK poster, since it’ll be displayed through a monitor. Also, two of these three thumbnails have eliminated the the artists’ names. I don’t think this would be a big issue since the cover pages will have the name of the artists on it. But if needed, I’m sure I could fit the names into the designs without too much trouble. Out of these sketches, I really like the first one because it’s a refreshing and lighter take on the heavy elements from the poster.
Once again though, I’m hoping to get some solid feedback from people on these designs and move forward based on a consideration of the overall varying opinions.
“Oceans” – Coasts